Mention the word Tennessee, and expect a range of associations as diverse as its residents and visitors. Some conjure pictures of Nashville and its honky-tonk charm and boot-scooting tunes. Others picture Memphis in all its Elvis-tinged, hip-swiveling glory. But those in the know get a faraway look in their eyes, as they visibly drift away, led by visions of the Great Smoky Mountains. Thanks to its central location, you can easily take advantage of all the adventure that Gatlinburg and surrounding areas offer.
Gatlinburg, a.k.a. “The Gateway to the Smoky Mountains,” is known for its mountain culture, arts and crafts, bluegrass and folk music and, of course, natural beauty. Throughout its history of farming and lumber, the beauty of Gatlinburg has remained its most prominent natural resource, attracting visitors from near and far.
Here’s our list of everything you’ll want to see and do while visiting Gatlinburg and nearby Pigeon Forge. Plan your Gatlinburg getaway today!
Many different events make up the calendar in the Smoky Mountains. You’ll find various and sundry country-themed gatherings throughout the year, such as:
- Bluegrass Christmas in the Smokies Music Festival
- Bloomin’ Barbecue & Bluegrass Festival
- The Smoky Mountain Snowdown
- A Mountain Quiltfest
How To / Tips
If you’d like to save money, time and effort on your next trip to Gatlinburg, read through these 25 money-saving tips:
- Driving safely through mountains
- Packing lightly and smartly
- Saving money through preparing meals, clipping coupons and entering attractions at the right time
Gatlinburg is a mecca for those who revel in the outdoors, and while you’ve probably been daydreaming of your perfect vacation day, we’ve got a few suggestions for activities that’ll make for a relaxing and memorable vacation.
- Mini golf at venues throughout the mountain area
- Fishing for trout and smallmouth bass
- Tubing and whitewater rafting
- Miles of hiking just right for all skill levels
- Horseback riding and zip lining
Tennessee down-home cuisine awaits you just minutes from your Bluegreen resort. Here are just some of the local dishes you can expect to savor.
- Tasty rack of ribs
- Biscuits and Gravy
- Buttermilk, corn meal and sweet potato pancakes
- Tennessee-style BBQ
- Grits, and more grits
- Peach cobbler
- Chili, cooked low and slow
Things to Do
Enjoy lots of exciting activities in and around Gatlinburg.
- The Hatfield & McCoy Dinner Show™
- Star Cars Museum
- Iris Theater
- Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede®
- The Village Shops
No visit to the Smokies is complete without old-school theme park activities, like Ferris wheels, carnival rides, midway games, and these fun attractions:
- The Great Smoky Mountain Wheel
- Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies
- Fun Mountain Amusement Park
- The Island
Scenic views of the unmatched beauty of the Smokies await you at this rustic mountain resort. Enjoy distant glimpses of wildlife, prepare meals in your full kitchen and enjoy the fireplace in each villa. Swimming pools, saunas, a fitness center and a game room round out the complete MountainLoft experience.
Looking for that perfect Gatlinburg getaway to experience everything the mountains offers? Take a look at our resort offer and save on a comfortable and affordable stay.